Austin Energy Council Committee meeting March 3/26/15

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Sheri Gallo

Austin Energy Council Committee meeting March 3/26/15

Post by Sheri Gallo »

The majority of our first meeting (March 26th 9:00-11:30) will be staff presentations on several policy areas. Staff has suggested the first being Financial Foundation (Council action required for Commercial Paper Rollover), Refunding HIgh Cost Debt, & Reserves. This presentation will take approx 1 hour.
We will also need to discuss the Demand Side Management issue (Consultant to provide Program Evaluation) was referred to our Committee from 2/26 Council meeting.
There have been 2 policy discussions suggested by MPT Tovo for this meeting or future meetings: Arrearage Management/Deferred Payment Arrangements and Customer Assistance Program.
Are there any other policy areas that the Committee would like to have staff presentations for the March meeting or future meetings?
Thank you!
Sheri Gallo, Council Member District 10
Don Zimmerman

Re: Austin Energy Council Committee meeting March 3/26/15

Post by Don Zimmerman »

Yes, CM Gallo,

I would like to prioritize a committee technical review of the solar power subsidy program for both residential and business sites.
Don Zimmerman
Council Member District 6 (northwest Austin)
Kathie Tovo

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Thank you, Council Member Gallo. I'd like to request that when we discuss arrearage management, we hear a presentation from the Low Income Advisory Task Force. That group has been reviewing Austin Energy's policies as well as arrearage management plans offered by other utilities, and they have recommendations for the City Council to consider.
Council District 9
Leslie Pool

Post by Leslie Pool »

CM Gallo, thanks for asking for additional topics. One specific item that is time sensitive and should be taken up in our first round of discussions is the generation plan and the Request For Proposal for up to 600 mw of solar. The RFP would compile most current pricing information on solar. It makes sense to compile pricing information before the Gap Study begins to ensure we're using the most up-to-date data. We may wish to prioritize a presentation on the topic for our first meeting, and include members from various stakeholder and task force groups. Michael Osborne, chair of the Electric Utility Commission, would be ideal in this regard.

I am also interested in having a conversation about community solar and how installing or expanding access in lower income areas of town would support our efforts on affordability in the utilities.

Thank you.

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Kathie Tovo

Re: arrearage management

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Correction: I miswrote when I referred to the Low Income Advisory Task Force. I instead should have asked that the Arrearage Management Program working committee present its recommendations to our Council subcommittee. I believe AE staff are clear on the request as we spoke to them last week, but at least one member of the public was not.

Apologies all.

Kathie Tovo
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member District 9
Council District 9
Kathie Tovo

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues,
Actually, the group I referred to above is officially known as the "Low Income Consumer Working Group" and has been focused - at least in part - on making recommendations related to Arrearage Management. As I stated above, AE staff are clear on the group to which I am referring. thanks!

Kathie Tovo
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member District 9
Council District 9
Delia Garza

Post by Delia Garza »

Council Member Gallo,

Thank you for asking for input. I share Council Member Pool’s interest in discussing the RFP during our first meeting, and would also like a briefing on Austin Energy’s weatherization program including what services are available, how many residents have utilized the program, how many residents are currently eligible but haven’t applied, and the current structure for community outreach and education about the program. Given that the weatherization program benefits low income residents, it might be best to have that presentation the same day as the discussion about payment arrangements and the presentation from the Low Income Advisory Task Force that Mayor Pro Tem Tovo requested.

Best,
Delia Garza
Mayor Pro Tem, District 2