Proposed Palm District Master Plan

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Kathie Tovo

Proposed Palm District Master Plan

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues,

Over the years and through many discussions with stakeholders regarding the Palm School, the Convention Center, Brush Square, the Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center, Waller Creek, and the Rainey Historic District, it has become apparent that the city would benefit from a comprehensive planning approach to what I will refer to as the Palm District. Over the course of many years, we have had disparate, fragmented planning around these assets, and I believe we have a unique opportunity right now to bring together the various groups who have deep and vested ties in this area along with the many new individuals and businesses that now call this area home. As a city, we have an opportunity before us to create a meaningful, comprehensive, and potentially healing plan that rights some of the wrongs that have resulted in stranded cultural resources, impaired mobility, and divided communities.

The linked resolution is a DRAFT – over the next several weeks, Council Member Renteria and I will solicit feedback from different community members and groups on the focused action steps that will lead us on our path to creating a Palm District Master Plan. We welcome your feedback as well. http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 00223.docx

Best,

Kathie Tovo
Council Member District 9

Pio Renteria
Council Member District 3
Council District 9