Special Events - Item #18

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Joi Harden

Special Events - Item #18

Post by Joi Harden »

Special Events Ordinance
Objectives for Mayor Pro Tem Tovo's Forthcoming Amendments
May 8, 2018 Meeting

Mayor Pro Tem Tovo knows the community and staff have worked hard to bring forward revisions to the Special Events Ordinance. Tomorrow, she will be proposing changes that accomplish the following objectives:

Objective 1: Create a process that allows event applicants and community stakeholders to request council consideration of a staff decision regarding events that include street closures.

Objective 2: Use the standard effective date (10 days) from date of approval, which enables staff to immediately begin the rules development process. The implementation date should occur no earlier than April 1, 2019.

Objective 3. Ensure that prior to adoption of the rules, the City Manager incorporates a stakeholder process into rule development that includes boards or commissions with advisory responsibilities related to topics covered in the ordinance. For this process, the City Manager is encouraged to designate a senior member of city staff to serve as a single point of contact.

Objective 4. Ensure that the rules and fee schedule provide scalability within the tier structure based on an event’s size and scope.

Objective 5. Establish a task force to assess the efficacy of the special event ordinance and to recommend revisions to the special events ordinance and the associated rules and ACE process. The task force shall be comprised of 11 members appointed by each member from the City Council. At a minimum, the task force should consist of two members from of each of the following groups: neighborhoods, music venues, small businesses, and event production companies. The task force shall expire on April 1, 2020.
Policy Aide
Office of Kathie Tovo, Mayor Pro Tem District 9
Greg Casar

Re: Special Events - Item #18

Post by Greg Casar »

Hi all,

I am also sharing my amendment for this item that I suggested at yesterday's work session that I will be presenting tomorrow.

Under 4-19-20 Permit Required; Exceptions (B) (2) I would like to remove "for which it is not reasonably possible to provide the advance notice required by this chapter," and change "city sidewalks" to "city right-of-way," and also remove "(a) An organizer of spontaneous event must provide notice to the Austin Police Department of the date, time, place, and an estimate of the approximate number of persons who will be participating at least four hours before the event, or provide other notice that may be reasonable under the circumstances."

This section would then read "(2) a spontaneous event such as an event occasioned by recent news or current affairs, that is conducted solely on city right-of-way or parkland."

Best,

Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4