Fee Waiver for March For Our Lives

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Leslie Pool

Fee Waiver for March For Our Lives

Post by Leslie Pool »

Dear Colleagues:

On March 24, in response to the tragedy at Stoneman Douglas High school in Parkland, FL, the kids and families of March For Our Lives will take to the streets of Washington DC and in communities across the US, including in Austin, to demand their lives and safety become a priority and that we end gun violence and mass shootings. Many politicians and everyday people are saying now is not the time to talk about gun violence despite the tragic murder of 14 teenagers and 3 teachers. The students leading March for Our Lives, and the groups that support them, however, believe the time is now.

The mission and focus of March For Our Lives is to demand that a comprehensive and effective bill be immediately brought before Congress to address gun issues. No special interest group, no political agenda is more critical than timely passage of legislation to effectively address the gun violence issues that are rampant in our country. Let’s protect our kids, not guns.

The groups helping organize this event - Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Everytown for Gun Safety, and Giffords.org - are partnering up with March For Our Lives to support a day of action in Austin led by kids, teens, and families who will stand up, speak out, and demand that elected officials hear them.

On March 8, I’m sponsoring a fee waiver for the March For Our Lives event here in Austin. Please join me in supporting this nationwide event on March 24, and join me in making sure Austin’s young voices are heard.

Best regards,

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Steve Adler

Re: Fee Waiver for March For Our Lives

Post by Steve Adler »

I greatly appreciate Leslie's leadership on this and my office will gladly contribute.

-Steve
Mayor
Alison Alter

Re: Fee Waiver for March For Our Lives

Post by Alison Alter »

Thank you, Council Member Pool, for bringing this opportunity to Council. Gun violence is a serious and devastating issue that demands immediate action. I will proudly join you in supporting the fee waivers.

In addition to challenging current laws allowing largely unrestricted access to high-capacity firearms, many citizens are expressing widespread concern for how often early signs of aggression go unnoticed or unaddressed. As we see time and time again, there are many behaviors that young adults may show that can be potential indicators of this level of violence. Thanks to the work of many incredible advocates, we can train ourselves to identify them.

We are seeing stories from Florida regarding the shooter’s history of aggressive and threatening behavior towards an ex-girlfriend and another teen who later started seeing the same young lady. For my colleagues who were unable to join us for the Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month proclamation last week, I want to include a wallet card that was given out as a resource. As the infographics state, it is never too early to begin talking to our children about how to recognize troublesome behaviors and ways to build healthy relationships. I invite everyone to share this resource with constituents.

Link to wallet card: https://vetoviolence.cdc.gov/apps/datin ... t-Card.pdf

Regards,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10